Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Since the inception of the Alzheimer's Research and Prevention Foundation in 1993, the focus has always been about prevention. In today's world, this concept is more relevant than ever before, as we are witnessing the medical community embrace the need for this approach. In fact, Alzheimer's disease is associated with more deaths in the United States than any other disease, and will soon be for the entire world as well. Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D., founding president and medical director of the Alzheimer's Research and Prevention Foundation, recently sat down to discuss some exciting developments in the Alzheimer's research field and talks about the vindication of the science behind the ARPF's work in the prevention field and the promise it holds.
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
World Alzheimer's Awareness Fortnight 7th Sep 2011 to 27th Sep . The theme for World Alzheimer's Day™ 2011: Faces of Dementia .
On the occasion of World Alzheimer’s Day on 21st Sep 2011 ARDSI (Alzheimer's & Related Disorders Society of India) Greater Mumbai in association with ‘Silver Inning Foundation’ organized a Fortnight Programme from 7th Sep 2011 to 27th Sep 2011 to create awareness about Dementia and Alzheimer’s in city of Mumbai. All over India ARDSI and its networking organisation hosted various awareness campaign.
1) On 7th Sep a Talk and Screening of Documentary ‘Drifting Through Time ‘ was organized at Nirmala Niketan college of Social Work , Churchgate- for Student from 2pm to 3.30pm . Around 200 students and Teachers attended
2) On 18th Sep a Talk cum presentation was organized at Senior Citizens Association at Everest World CHS , Ghodbandar Road , Thane from 4pm to 6pm . Around 25 people participated
3) On 20th Sep a Talk cum Screening of Documentary ‘Drifting Through Time ‘ was organized at SVT college of Home Science (SNDT University ) Juhu for Students , Teachers and Family Members from 1.30pm to 3pm . It was covered by National TV Channel. Around 190 people attended
4) On World Alzheimer’s Day 21st Sep –Senior Citizens Memory Walk and a Talk was organized at Pushpa Maa Foundation (Dad Dadi Park) ,Veer Sawarkar Udyan , L T Road , Borivali East from 5pm to 7.30pm . Around 300 Senior Citizens Participated
5) On 21st Sep 2011 on World Alzheimer’s Day around 3000 SMS was send to create awareness
6) On 24th Sep a Information Stall and Memory Games was organized at Elder Mela at TISS ,Deonar from 10am to 5.30pm . Around 150 people visited the stall
7) On 27th Sep a Talk and screening of Documentary ‘Drifting Through Time ‘ was organized at HELP Library, CST,Fort from 4pm to 6pm . 25 People participated
8) Around 50 Posters and some banners were distributed to various Senior Citizens Associations , Hospitals and Clinics
This year again we were able to attract Media, following are the detail of media coverage:
1) Our "World Alzheimer's Day 2011" Greater Mumbai events was covered by Govt National TV - DD SAHYADRI channel on 21st Sep at 8.30am , 2.30pm and 5pm .
2) Our World Alzheimer's Day 21st Sep 2011 story was published in one of largest selling local language Marathi Newspaper in Maharashtra state – SAKAL : http://www.esakal.com/esakal/20110922/4827710379560695467.htm
3) 25th Sep 2011 Sunday Midday , Mumbai carries our World Alzheimer's Day 2011 Story - Excellent advocacy and networking - thanks to all contributors - Part 1 : http://epaper2.mid-day.com/showtext.aspx?boxid=75114278&parentid=152018&issuedate=25092011&edd123=mumbai
4) 25th Sep 2011 Sunday Midday , Mumbai carries our World Alzheimer's Day 2011 Story - Excellent advocacy and networking - thanks to all contributors - Part 2: http://epaper2.mid-day.com/showtext.aspx?boxid=75233935&parentid=152019&issuedate=25092011&edd123=mumbai
6) Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ARDSI/
We thank Dr.Charles Pinto, Dr.Devendra Save , Nanda Narvekar , Mona Mishra , Dhanalaxmi Rao , Jimmy Dorji , Dr.Geeta Balakrishnan , Prof. Suja Koshy, Prof. Parul Kibliwala , Prof. Nasreen , Mrs. Anu Vijay Kumar , Mr.David and Ms. Dhamini Ratnam , Ms. Hendi Lingiah , Eisai Pharma , Media and all Volunteers for their help to make this programme a great success.
This programme was organized by ARDSI Greater Mumbai Chapter & Silver Inning Foundation in association with Nirmala Niketan college of Social Work , Arundathi & Kiron Kaikini , SVT college of Home Science (SNDT) , Pushpa Maa Foundation ,Center for Life Long Learning -TISS , Eisai Pharma ,& Times Foundation/ HELP Library.
Contact: ARDSI Greater Mumbai Chapter
Mobile: 9987104233 ( Mon to Sat 10am to 6pm) Email: email@example.com ;